No one wants to deal with cold showers, or having to boil the kettle to wash the dishes, so it’s important to make sure your hot water system is operating properly. We’ve put together a few important tips to help you spot the signs that you water heater system may need a service inspection, repair, or replacement.
Fix the Problem Early
Learning to recognise these simple signs will help you to address the problems sooner rather than later. Not only will this prevent you from being surprised by a sudden failure, it could also be the difference between an inexpensive repair and a costly replacement.
Many homeowners tend to neglect the servicing aspect of hot water systems, with plumbers called in only during an emergency. If the system is inspected on a regular basis its working life can be extended. This also ensures improved efficiency and that any repair work can be carried out in a timely manner.
What to Look Out for
You should, of course, have regular maintenance services with a reputable plumber scheduled in, but keep an eye out for these signs. If you notice any of them, call a plumber right away:
- Is the water flowing from the tap rusty or brown in colour?
- Is the water muddy or does it have sediment in it?
- Is the hot water system making strange sounds such as cracking or popping noises?
- Has the pilot light gone out? Does this happen often?
- Does the hot water have a strange smell or metallic taste?
- Are you getting less hot water?
- Is water leaking out of the system?
- Do you often experience fluctuations in temperature?
- Does the water pressure or flow rate vary?
- Are you running out of hot water faster than usual?
Boland Plumbing offers regular check-ups for your domestic hot water systems. We can schedule them in at times that suit you, whether you want six-monthly minor maintenance, an annual service and a major five-year service, or some other arrangement.
The major service includes:
- Replacing the system’s sacrificial anode
- Replacing the temperature and pressure relief valves
- Checking correct operation of the gas, electric or solar control
- Checking solar heat transfer fluid for solar hot water systems.
Some of the common problems we’ve discovered during checks include:
- Pilot light outages
- Leaking valves
- Installation issues
- Temperature settings that are set too high
- Excessive water pressure adding stress on the cylinder
- Incorrect gas pressure settings
- Stuck relief valves that leak constantly due to the homeowner not operating the valves regularly
- Blocked strainers causing flow rate issues
- Blocked filters and shower restrictors
- Faulty thermocouples, igniters, elements and thermostats
Get in Touch
Is your hot water system malfunctioning? Don’t put up with cold showers and inconsistent temperatures anymore. To organise a check-up or repairs for your system, get in touch with Boland Plumbing in Canberra today for a free quote. We are your local experts in hot water unit repairs and replacements.